Just as our bodies fall apart while we grow older, the same also applies to our canine friends. I know how it feels when you notice your furry friend experiencing excruciating pain in their muscles or knee joints due to a patella luxation. Luxating patella can be a real nightmare for dog parents who love to see their fur babies happy all the time. That’s frustrating, right?
Well, not every dog owner can jump into luxating patella surgery right off the bat to heal their dog’s knee, and that is when a knee brace provides help. Yeah, you heard that right.
Finding out the perfect knee brace for your pup is quite a tough task, but don’t worry! Most of the dog owners reading this article might be going through the same situation.
That’s definitely why I decided to make a list of the 5 best dog knee brace for luxating patella in dogs, out of which you can choose the most suitable one according to your canine’s needs.
If you don’t have much time to read the whole article, then you can have a look at our top pick Walkabout Harnesses Pink Knee Brace that will undoubtedly be the winner in our top 5 list because of its top-notch construction, durability, and flexibility.
So, without further ado, let’s dig a bit deeper into each of the 5 knee braces!
As the pros and cons are reported by the current product owners, I can bet if you go through the article till the end, you’ll easily get to know which one to pick up for your canine companion.
What is a Luxating Patella?
Luxating means out of place and the patella is a dog’s kneecap. So, when a dog’s kneecap is dislocated, especially while being active, it is called a luxating patella.
Patella luxation, also known as trick knee, is the most common orthopedic condition especially seen in smaller dog breeds, though larger dog breeds can also go through this condition.
Dog Knee Brace for Luxating Patella: Top 5 List
- Walkabout Harnesses Pink Knee Brace
- Ortocanis Original Knee Brace for Dogs with Luxating Patella
- Labra Dog Canine K9 Knee Stifle Brace
- Walkabout Canine Knee Brace
- Ortocanis Original Knee Immobilizer
Top 5 Dog Knee Brace For Luxating Patella Review
1. Walkabout Harnesses Pink Knee Brace
Grab your favorite Walkabout Knee Brace right away, which is now available in Pink! The brace secures the 1st position in our list because of its quality construction.
- Material: 3mm neoprene fabric
- Size: Medium Left
- Color: Pink
- High-quality material: This compact knee brace is made up of neoprene fabric and is used to fix the knee joints of your pups suffering from knee problems such as luxating patella, arthritis, and ACL/CCL tears. The wrap can also be used for luxating patella post-surgery recovery, as it provides ample support on and around your dog’s knee.
- A suspender: The knee brace is equipped with a suspender that is compatible with any standard chest halter. But the front chest harness is not included. So, consider buying it separately for having added stability.
Overall, since the brace is mainly intended for luxating patella, I highly recommend you use WalkAbout knee braces if you’re looking for something for luxating patella support.
- Available from small to extra-large sizes
- Super supportive to the knee
- A suspender for extra stability
- Specifically designed for fixing patella luxation
- A bit expensive
- Not suitable for smaller dogs
1. Ortocanis Original Knee Brace
The Ortocanis original knee brace tops our list because it provides both elastic and stabilizing benefits as well as comfort and superior support, while not compromising the canine’s mobility.
- Package Dimensions:91 x 7.24 x 2.44 inches
- Item Weight: 8 Ounces
- Manufacturer: Ortocanis
- Premium-quality Material: The knee brace is expertly hand-made in Barcelona and the high-Performance soft and insulating Neoprene construction assures improved flexibility and adapts better to the dogleg. The brace can play a role to reduce the pain caused by luxating patella, ligament injury, or osteoarthritis by increasing the joint’s temperature and blood circulation.
- Extra-supportive design: The light compression of the brace promises stability and improves your pup’s walking posture even if it’s having a serious kneecap dislocation. The brace provides just the required amount of pressure to ease the pain of the joints, helping increase stability and preventing future knee issues.
- Hip strap: This brace features a hip strap that ensures secure fit and stability, but it is very prone to sliding off the hips. This is why you need to buy an extra hip strap fastening kit to solve this problem. Don’t want to purchase an extra hip strap? You can choose Labra Dog Knee Brace which has a more stable hip strap.
- Faster pain relief and recovery
- Expertly handmade In Barcelona
- Soft and insulating material
- Increases muscle flexibility and elasticity
- Won’t pinch your pup’s skin or coat
- The hip strap tends to fall off
3. Labra Dog K9 Knee Brace
If your dog is experiencing a luxating patella or any kind of knee issue, then the labra dog knee brace can be your best bet. It will ensure a high level of support to your pup’s knees, speeding up the rehab process. The brace can also be an alternative to expensive luxating patella surgery.
- Package Dimensions: 2 x 8.54 x 1.81 inches
- Item Weight:96 Ounces
- Revolutionary Design: This dog knee brace is designed with a rigid metal support system for ensuring extreme support and stability, making it one of a kind. The fabric is sturdier and more durable than its competitors. Plus, if your pooch needs post-surgery rehabilitation in his joints, you can give this brace a go.
- A hip strap: The brace also comes with a protected hip strap that attaches to your dog’s leg to keep the wrap in its proper place. Plus, connecting up to the chest harness, the strap fully stabilizes and increases mobility in your pup’s rear leg.
- Heavy-duty construction
- Optimal support for more serious injuries
- Secure hip strap
- Suitable for post-surgery rehab
- Speeds up recovery process naturally
- Recommended by vets
- Might be heavy for some dogs
- No chest harness included
4. WalkAbout Canine Knee Brace (small 7-9″)
For pups with serious injuries, such as luxating patella (dislocating kneecap), a torn CCL/ACL, or severe arthritis because of chronic instability or old age, the walkabout canine knee brace can be a fantastic option.
This patella luxation dog brace is another great product to offer excellent support and soothe your canine’s knee pain.
- Size: Small 7-9″
- Item Weight:44 ounces
- Material: 3mm Neoprene
- Premium-quality material: This dog knee brace is made of neoprene material that can help treat different knee joint issues such as luxating patella, arthritis, or ligament tears. Keeping your dog’s knee joints compressed and stabilized, it alleviates inflammation and pain, and thus your pooch will experience a quicker recovery time.
- A suspender: This brace also comes with a suspender that can be attached to a chest halter, and can help prevent the brace from slipping off.
- Available in three different sizes-small, medium, and large
- Heavy-duty material and durable
- Comes with a suspender
- Maximum support and stability
- Ideal for post-surgery rehab
- No chest harness included
5. Ortocanis Original Knee Immobilizer
The Ortocanis Original Knee Immobilizer can be a great pick for several types of rear-leg and knee issues. It is designed particularly for dogs suffering from patella luxation.
● Package Dimensions: 10.71 x 4.8 x 3.54 inches
● Item Weight: 3.53 Ounces
● Neoprene Material: This dog knee brace is made out of 2-millimeter-thick neoprene, assuring considerable stability and support. That’s why the brace is beneficial for dealing with a wide variety of dog knee issues such as patella dislocation or ruptured ligaments. By increasing the joint’s temperature and blood circulation, the brace helps to reduce inflammation and improves the recovery time.
● Two Aluminum splints: Besides compressing and tightening the wounded knee joint, the brace also incorporates twin metal splints that increase stability and restrict mobility in order to prevent further injuries, while still allowing your dog to move comfortably while he is on his way to the recovery process.
- Supportive yet soft design
- Easy to adjust the ergonomic design
- Faster recovery
- Vet recommended
- Available in various sizes
- Splints are articulated
- Easy to take on and off
- An adjustable Velcro strap for a snug fit
- Very expensive
- Some complained the harness isn’t super secure
- May not be the ideal option for active dogs
How To Choose The Best Dog Knee Brace For Luxating Patella?
Before committing to buy a dog knee brace, you need to make a list of the features you want in your pup’s brace. And consider the list while evaluating different kinds of products.
When you choose to purchase the best knee brace for your furry friend, several essential things should be taken into account such as:
While getting a knee brace for treating your fur baby’s patella luxation, comfort should be the priority. As the right material can offer actual comfort.
Most of the knee braces these days are made up of neoprene or nylon material, which is well known for delivering that tight pressure and comfortable fit that will provide maximum support and stability to the sore knee joints of your furry friend.
All dogs are different in size and shape, even the same dog breeds. Therefore, take some time to take your furry friend’s measurements before placing an order.
Though measuring your pooch may be a little bit of a hassle, this is what you must do while purchasing a knee brace. Because the proper fit is essential, otherwise you may end up not getting the right fit and support you want for your pooch.
Front Brace or Back Brace:
Always keep in mind that a front knee brace is different from a rear knee brace. Getting one mistakenly that won’t fit in your dog’s legs is a total wastage of money and time. Since the front and back legs come in different shapes, you won’t be able to use the same for both legs.
So, before you confirm the order, have a close look at your dog’s legs again to ensure you will get the proper one your furball needs.
As I mentioned in my discussion above, some braces incorporate metal strips to provide extra support and stability, which is useful for dogs with more serious knee injuries to keep their knee in the right position.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1. Will a brace help dog with Luxating patella?
Of course! If your dog is suffering from luxating patella or ACL/CCL issues, a knee brace can help your pooch recover from the injuries. Though a patella luxation is a painful condition for pups, it is very treatable as well. Surgery might be needed in serious cases, but a dog knee brace will do the job in many cases.
Q2. How do you fix Luxating patella without surgery?
If there is no other way than surgery for fixing a patella luxation, then you can provide support to your canine’s knee joint by using joint supplements.
Q3. Can a dog live with Luxating patella?
Yes, many dog breeds especially smaller ones can spend their whole life with a grade I or II patella luxation without pain. Most veterinarians recommend grade III or IV luxating patella need surgery as soon as possible.
Q4. Is Luxating patella painful for dogs?
Obviously! Patella luxation can cause throbbing pain and that’s why injured dogs cry out in pain. The chronic dislocation gradually results in arthritic changes in the knee.
We’ve come to an end of our best dog knee brace for luxating patella buyer’s guide.
Though it’s near impossible to comment on which knee brace is best, I am giving some verdicts to help you out buy the best knee brace for your dog.
Let me know if you have any more questions in the comment box below. I am always here to help!